In light of the recent Supreme Court decision which made the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional, Christians have reason to be worried. Justice Kennedy was loud and clear when he wrote that the only possible motive to be against gay marriage is hatred. That was codified talk by Kennedy targeting Christians as a hateful group.
Delight in Truth feels this will become the underlying motive for hate-speech legislation in our country in the near future.
We must start to really think about these 5 issues as presented by Todd Friel on his show:
1. Will churches lose their tax exempt status because they believe what the Bible teaches about homosexual sin?
2. Will pastors be forced to officiate same-sex marriage against orthodox interpretation of the Bible?
3. Will Christian schools be forced to endorse the progressive agenda or lose accreditation?
4. Will pastors be able to counsel persons struggling with homosexual desires and tell them that such lifestyle is sinful?
5. Will parents be able to tell their children that homosexuality is a sin?
I predict we will see lawsuits against churches claiming discrimination because gay church members will not be given pulpit time or worship leading roles. It has already happened at Mariner’s church in Irvine, CA when the church fired their gay choir director when he came out of the closet. After a 6 year legal battle the church won the case. I foresee many churches losing these types of lawsuits in the future based on discrimination and hate speech laws.
I write about these things because the Church needs to prepare for these events. We must continue to press forward, make the Gospel our number one mission, and pray that the Holy Spirit will change the lives we touch.