I have seen statements to the effect that all sins have the same consequence. Some say that sexual sins (flirting, porn, pre and extra-marital sexual relations. etc…) have the same consequences as gluttony and addiction to hobbies.
The problem is that these statements are only partially correct.
Theologically speaking, ANY sin that is not brought to the cross and atoned via the blood of Christ leads to death. However, the Bible teaches that not all sins are the same in how they affect unbelievers, and for that matter, believers.
Take sexual sin for instance. What is it that makes pornography or adultery different from other sins like anger, or theft?
The Bible goes as far as classifying sexual immorality in a camp of its own. The reason for this is because sexual sin and all its cousins destroy every aspect of human life: PHYSICAL, SPIRITUAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL, FAMILIAL, and SOCIAL.
The consequences of said sin ruin every aspect of one’s life. That’s why it is different. Here are some (very brief) examples:
- psychological: porn addicts have altered brain chemistry and are unable to have healthy marriages because their brain is wired for a perverted understanding of sex, one that is based on lust, violence, and lack of responsibility; loneliness and depression are frequently associated with this sin
- social: pre-marital sex ruins lives by ruining reputations, leading to abortions and children out of wed-lock, community stigma and broken hearts
- physical: multiple partners leads to sexually transmitted infections (STIs), infertility, cancer, and death from cancer and infection
- familial/relational: not only the stuff listed above, but breaking-up of families and breaking of vows taken before God
- spiritual: just like any unrepented sin, sexual sin leads to spiritual death
This is why porn addiction is different from the sin of coffee addiction. This is why indulging in sexual sin will ruin your life in every aspect. All sin leads to spiritual death, but sexual sin brings much more suffering in this life in addition to spiritual death.
Scripture will back up the above claims:
“Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.” 1 Cor 6:18
“He who commits adultery lacks sense; he who does it destroys himself. He will get wounds and dishonor, and his disgrace will not be wiped away.” Prov 6:32-33
So yes, porn addiction and other sexual sins are more damaging to the person committing them than other sins.
People who preach the half-gospel of love, and go around saying that homosexuality and pornography should not be treated differently than any other sin do not have a grasp on the differentiation the Bible makes between sexual immorality and other sins.
So young readers, maintain your sexual purity because you will have much reward in this life and the next.
“How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.” Ps 119:9