The diagram and the following are statistics compiled by the American Sexual Health Organization
- More than half of all people will have an STD/STI (sexually transmitted disease/infection) at some point in their lifetime
- There are 19.7 million new STIs every year in the US
- Each year, one in four teens contracts an STD/STI in the US
- It is estimated that as many as one in five Americans have genital herpes, a lifelong (but manageable) infection
- With more than 50 million adults in the US with genital herpes and up to 776,000 new infections each year, some estimates suggest that by 2025 up to 40% of all men and half of all women could be infected
- HPV infection is the cause of cervical cancer in vast majority of cervical cancer cases
These are sobering statistics.
STDs are hidden and they can lead to life-long suffering, infertility, cancer and death.
We can see that in addition to spiritual implications there are severe physical consequences of sexual immorality. The Word of God defines sexual immorality as any sexual behavior outside of marriage, physical AND non-physical. Not only does God want us to have eternal life by being obedient to this Word, but He is looking out for our well-being in this earthly life as well.
Consider the following stern warning by apostle Paul:
1 Corinthians 6:18 “Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.”